Related Post

6 Comments Received

Larry Eisner
February 14th, 2007 @5:05 pm

Just a quick note, to tell you all that the addition of Nicko Demeter was AWESOME. This was my favorite netcast yet. Honestly. Even with the audio issues. (although this one was better than last week, audio-wise.)

Seriously, make Nicko a regular contributor if at all possible.

Great job, peeps… I miss y’all! :)

marc
February 16th, 2007 @1:48 am

Quite frankly I’m disgusted with the attitude of the panel this week. It seems that they consider themselves the ‘authority’ on the ARG genre and therefore they have free reign to make biased, uneducated decisions about matters they know nothing about, then tell the whole world about their jaded opinions.

I think it’s sad that TIAG talks of perplex city have taken over this episode, and detracted from the glory that is endgame, and congratulations for Andy. Personal gripes with puppetmasters should be taken up with puppetmasters.

And as for the section on deus city..I’m not even going to bother asking if you know both sides of the story.

I think an appology is needed. It’s very easy to criticise, but it’s ironic that the panel seem to hold the authoritive opinion, when they’re always so increadibly wrong. Do any of them actually play any of the games mentioned this week?

European Chris
February 16th, 2007 @3:48 am

It’s a bit sad that the week an ARG gives away ¬£100,000 to a player you spend 20mins slagging off Perplex city without highlighting any positive aspects of it.

You’re not trying to ‘dump’ on Mind Candy however can’t think of a single good thing to say and start talking about the date websites were registered (what a dull thing to talk about); it all struck me as a little humourless.

KGBrAm
February 16th, 2007 @1:53 pm

Great point from Larry Eisner there. It’s the same old song and dance from these ‘authorities’.

konamouse
February 16th, 2007 @8:40 pm

I’m afraid to say that I have only just started reading Dave’s book Through the Rabbit Hole. I think it provides a great analogy for TINAG, ARG, and other information about the genre.

His first book “This is Not a Game” is still available via Amazon.com

I highly recommend both.

Yahwehtzvaoth
April 1st, 2007 @2:58 am

I have to say that I disagree with the one of the main point the podcasters made about the “this is not a game” philosophy.

The blurring of lines is the best thing about ARGs. If there is a very clear boundry as to what is in the game, then its very difficult to suspend your disbelief. If a person says “this is not a game,” but there is a clear way to establish that it is not real, then it very clearly is a game and it sort of degates the whole of idea of args. True it is “alternate reality”, but I am not sure what kind of game could be made where a community of sharp people interested in it could not determine that what is happening in game is not real.

This kind of blurry game could be termed a hoax, but if nothing has been lost, its better to think of it as entertainment. Or, more likely, a publicity stunt.

I see the casters’ interpretation of the philosophy as being that every puppetmaster should basically say, “I’ve got a real cool chat room and fake blog. But you guys have to promise that you won’t call it make-believe.” Which is neat and all, but ultimately not very interesting. Or perhaps its better to say that its no more interesting than any other form of fiction. I want the tiger.

And I want to be really convinced that people could be hurt. Or at least that interacting with the game world will matter, because it could actually be my world. It makes everything matter more and makes for a more engaged enaging experience for the players.

I do not know what games are out there that are like this now, but I sure there are some.

Lastly, if its possible to create a largely internet-based arg that is so real players are not sure if they should call the cops, an important message can be given to players when the game ends and the PM comes out and says “Yeah, that was all fake, please stop calling the cops.” Namely that message is that the internet is a great resource and a lot of fun, but ultimately it is malleable that whenever you see something with three w’s in front of it, your initial thought should be that it is not the truth. Esspecially if the website goes out of its way to assure you that everything on it is real and accurate.